We have probably all met people who were natural born leaders. You know the ones. They are who a group turns to when something needs to be accomplished.
They can see the problem, the solution to it, and have a full grown plan for getting the task done immediately (my husband is kind of like that!)
However, all of us are not blessed with that ability or natural leadership skills. We can, however, learn leadership strategies that work.
Here are a few tips that will help you develop good leadership strategies that will help to solve the problem at hand and get tasks accomplished:
- Get your priorities straight:
Take a good look at what needs to be done and the order that tasks need to be performed to achieve the desired outcome. In other words, make a plan.
- Choose the right person to do each task:
This requires that you get to know the people on your team. You need to evaluate their strengths and weaknesses so that the person best suited to doing a job is the one you assign to it.
I said earlier that my husband was a born leader, however, I’m a writer. He can give verbal commands, but he lacks in the writing area. Leaders need to know the strengths and weaknesses of their team in order to be successful.
- Schedule a time for completion of tasks. As you know, Rome was not built in a day! Dont try to push impossible deadlines – people will work better if they know when a task actually needs to be finished. And, Don’t try to fool them with early deadlines, just in case. This might work once, but could backfire in future cases.
- Motivate your team. Use whatever you have at hand…(ex. competition with other teams, pride in performance, hope of advancement, etc.) Get your team to perform at the top of their game.
- Reward good work or a job well done. A few words of praise go a long way. People like to have their work recognized as being valuable.
A “completion party” is a great way to reward a team when a job is finished satisfactorily. If you are in a position to give monetary rewards, dont hesitate to do so.
Be a good leader, and you will never have to worry about people following you!
P.S. If you’re not a leader, but would like to be you can change your abilities by optimizing your mind!